A comprehensive small-game hunting guide, perfect for hunters ranging from first-time novices to seasoned experts, with photography by renowned outdoor photographer John Hafner.
Steven Rinella was raised in a hunting family and has been pursuing wild game his entire life. In this first-ever complete guide to hunting—from hunting wild game to butchering and cooking it—the host of the popular hunting show MeatEater shares his own expertise with us, and imparts strategies and tactics from many of the most experienced hunters in the United States as well.
This invaluable book includes
- recommendations on what equipment you will need—and what you can do without—from footwear to cutlery to camping gear to weapons
- basic and advanced hunting strategies for all North American small game, including drive techniques, solo and group hunting, ambush hunting, the use of hunting dogs, and techniques for decoying and
- how to find hunting locations, on both public and private land; how to locate areas that other hunters aren’t using; and how to make competition work in your favor
- detailed sections on furred small game, upland birds, and waterfowl, covering the biology and best hunting methods for a total of thirty small game species
- comprehensive information about hunting wild turkeys in both the spring and fall seasons
- how to master the arts of wingshooting and rifle marksmanship, and detailed information about shot placement, ammunition selection, and field maintenance of firearms and archery equipment
- instructions on how to field dress and butcher your own small game animals for a variety of preparations
- techniques and recipes for both indoor and outdoor wild game cooking
Steven Rinella is the author of Meat Eater: Adventures from the Life of an American Hunter, American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon, and The Scavenger’s Guide to Haute Cuisine. His articles have appeared in many publications, including Field and Stream, Men’s Journal, Outside, Men’s Health, The New York Times, Bowhunter, and the anthologies Best American Travel Writing and Best Food Writing. Born and raised in Twin Lake, Michigan, he now lives in Seattle, Washington.